Friday, August 29, 2008

Just Peachy

The peaches this season are fabulous. I was inspired at my local Farmer's Market to make a peach pie with a recipe I usually use for strawberry pie.
You do not cook the peaches, so this makes a cool, sweet summer pie.

1 pie crust (I use the Pillsbury pre-made crusts found in the dairy section)
peaches (4 - depends on the size)
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 TBS corn starch
dash or 2 of nutmeg (optional)
yellow dye (optional)

Bake the pie crust per direction on the box or make you own! Let it cool completely.
Cut up 1 cup of peaches and mash them up. Cook them in 1 cup of water until they boil. Boil for about 1 minute. Strain the pulp and save the juice.
Mix the sugar and corn starch together, add the nutmeg.
Add the sugar mixture to the peach juice and cook until thick. You can add a few drops of yellow food coloring if you wish.
Peal and slice the peaches, then layer them in the cooled pie crust. I usually do one layer of peaches. Next pour the peach gelatin over the the top and refrigerate until cool.
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I know....I harvested a bunch off my tree...so super sweet too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21109591@N08/2788481212/in/photostream/

Anonymous said...

so far so good, you make even this picky eater hungry and want to try out your recipes.

Andy said...

This recipe reminds me of "Granny's" (my great-grandmother's) peach cobbler recipe. Ya know the trouble with those old recipes is,...she actually wrote down a "pinch" and a "dash". So what is a pinch or a dash? My mother says,... you just have to experiment until you get the measurements right. Trial and err cooking, I guess. We should try this trial and err cooking out on our department. We'll all be wallowing out to the desk. HA!

Julie said...

This is similar to a recipie that I make only I make it with a Bisquick crust. With this you get a peach shortcake with not to much hassle.

Pie Shell
1 cup Bisquick
½ stick of margarine
3 Tablespoons boiling water
Melt margarine. Mix melted margarine, Bisquick and boiling water in small bowl. Turn into a 9 inch pie pan and spread mixture until it cover bottom and side of pan. Prick both the bottom and side of the crust. Place in 450° oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I just got peaches from the farmer's market too...may have to try this, if my husband doesn't eat them all first!